While mustard is typically vegan (mustard seeds, sugar, water, and vinegar), Dijon mustard is not. Dijon is made using White wine, which will vegan, it is filtered using animal-based fining agents such as casein, albumin, gelatin, and isinglass. Below is a simple recipe to make vegan dijon mustard at home. The key is to soak the mustard seeds.
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup brown or black mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar or 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp raw agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- Soak mustard seeds in water and apple cider vinegar / lemon juice for 24 – 36 hours. Ensure seeds are fully covered by liquid.
- Combine mustard seeds and liquid with remaining ingredients in high-speed blender. Add water to desired consistency.
16 Ounce Premium Whole Brown Mustard Seed (1 Pound Bulk Seeds) [Affiliate Link]